June 24-26 2011 at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course
· To date we have 17 Turners and 1 special guest Fairthorpe Electron Minor Mk II planning on attending the 2011 Turner USA Reunion, including Daniel Schwartz' 950S # 30/154 -all the way from California. Almost reaching the goal of 20 Turners at the reunion
There are still a few rooms left from the reserved block at the COMFORT INN PHONE # 419 886 4000 - Tell them you are with the Turner Reunion to get one of the reserved rooms. The rooms have 2 queen beds - you can also make reservations on your own - though the hotels in area tend to fill up quickly, so book a place soon.
· It is reality now - get ready to fly the Turner flag high , The St George Trophy Sprint race will be the site where Turner takes on MG! I will have the Jack Turner Cup presented to the highest placed Turner, the St.George Trophy for the overall St George Trophy Sprint race winner, and my good friends at MG Vintage Racers ( MGVR ) will offer a cup to the MG exemplifying the vintage spirit. The chatter is starting to brew between the MG/Abingdon bunch and some of our Turner/Wolverhampton gang, so bragging rights are seemingly on the table, though the event is all in fun, so get ready to join in a unique experience in this special race event.
* Since the sad news of Mr. Jack Turner's passing earlier in March 2011, I have arranged with SVRA's kind agreement to have a special honourary lap of the circuit ( to take place under pace car control on the lap prior to the official pace lap of the St. George Trophy Sprint race. This special lap is dedicated to Mr. Turner, who brought all of us the enjoyment of sporting driving through his fine range of sport cars. After the 1 special honourary lap - the pace car will start the pace lap to take the grid to the green flag!
* In addition to the honourary lap, we will have a good friend of Turner cars, Mr. Art Brow will act as "guest starter" of the St. George Trophy Sprint - As you may know, Mr. Brow is a WWII veteran and successfully raced a 950S in the late 50s - this has to be a good omen for the Turners on track.
· Turner related presentations on Turners are a go - location will be Mid Ohio's main tower for the Saturday presentations ( exact time is TBD ) dependent upon SVRA race schedules , Mr. Art Brow will do a short narration about the '59 Put In Bay race, we will watch actual color footage from '59 Put In Bay races and hear from Art about the event as they unfold. Then Mr. Jay Carano will provide insight into the workings Tri-City Motors with a 20 minute talk, this will be interesting, since this Ohio Turner dealer certainly played a big part in getting people in the mid-west exposed to these fantastic sport cars. Next up is Mr. Mike Velemirov, who raced and won a regional championship in his Turner 950S # 30/203 in the 1960s. Mr. Velemirov will speak about racing one of the greatest small bore sport cars in SCCA road racing.
Take this opportunity to hear about our fine marques role in taking the fight to the bigger bore racers, and often coming out on top + hear how Turner made its name through the dedicated dealer network in the USA - direct from the guys who were there. The presentation is expected to be approx one to one and a half hours in length - you will be allowed to ask questions after the presentations are all completed.
· Meet your fellow Turner Enthusiasts at the Turner cocktail party *Remember to bring along a bottle of wine, beer, or food item that represents the part of the country you come from and join us under the Turner HQ Tent on Friday night after the racing is done for a get together, and sample the treats from across the US! – This event will occur in the Turner HQ tent which is my 20ft X 20ft race tent - just look for the 10ft Turner Banner and British Racing Green Turner Mk III.
· The Turner Group photo – will happen, though with the retirement of the planned 2 photographers - I need to seek a replacement - rest assured we will get a group photo, and copies will be available at cost to all Turner owners.
· Canceled due to lack of interest, the informal lunch on Saturday
· Racers News - Important
The St. George trophy Sprint race will most likely occur on Saturday
SVRA will allow all Turner reunion racers to have a One Time Allowance for Car Prep and Driver safety equipment as long as your gear and car meets your home race groups prep standards - be prepared to show proof that your gear and car as outfitted meets your home clubs rules. It will be up to each Turner racer to ensure their gear and car complies to a recognized race groups prep specs/standards.
I have attached the SVRA car prep standards for Turners, read this they so you are familiar with SVRA's prep standards to see where your Turner may not match up. You will not be allowed to just show up and run, if your gear and car does not fit the SVRA or your home race clubs rules ( again be ready to show proof your gear and car is approved by your home race club, VSCDA, VARAC, VARA etc )
Also see the attached SVRA official notice on HANs devices
See the SVRA website for race registration forms ( keep checking the website , as at the time, SVRA has not issued the forms ) you will need to follow SVRAs registration rules and submit all paperwork through SVRA only.
For all Street Car Turner Owners - you will need to purchase a general admission ticket for the event- this can be done at the Mid Ohio facility gate. You will be allowed to bring your Turner into the All Turner Paddock, just park it and get ready to enjoy the weekend.
All the best,
Turner Mk III # 63/592
Post a Followup