[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Reissue of The Ipcress File Soundtrack

Posted by on March 30, 2012 at 04:35:08:

In Reply to: Re: Reissue of The Ipcress File Soundtrack posted by Gary McMahon on March 30, 2012 at 04:33:13:

I mean, above, 'would *not* have timed his main title theme'...

: In the film main titles, there's a very bad splice to shorten the length of the theme to fit the opening images. It's not something John Barry would have done, and it's inconceivable to me that Barry would not have timed his main title theme. So my best guess is that editor Peter Hunt (since director Furie was happy to leave the editing to him and was banned from post-production anyway) cut into the music with less than his usual adroit touch. I think Hunt shifted the start of the music so that Palmer turning off the alarm clock became a cool cue. If you play the main title of the soundtrack (which is the identical arrangement used in the film) to the film, but cue the music earlier, with Palmer turning on his bedside lamp, the length of the theme matches the length of the main title sequence. I think that's what Barry intended - that's what I argue in the Film International piece.

: : Text of the seller:

: : CD re-issue of one of John Barry's most memorable film scores from the 1960's composed for the seedy and realistic spy thriller starring Michael Caine as Len Deighton's great anti-hero, Harry Palmer.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]