[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Ipcress File - location scene nailed

Posted by Kees Stam on July 11, 2006 at 12:27:59:

In Reply to: Ipcress File - location scene nailed posted by keith on July 11, 2006 at 07:27:34:

Now that's a great find! Thanks a lot.
I always thought this location was somewhere on the other side of the Thames... . I won't be in in London until January but then I'll take my camera!
Thanks again, regards,
Kees Stam

: Been irritated for years that I couldn't identify the location used for the scene where Carswell is shot in the blue Ford Zephyr. Penny finally dropped. It is Upper Thames Street E.C.4 @ the junction with Queen Street Place, left of the lights, & Queen Street to the right of the traffic lights. The car is travelling west towards what is now Blackfriars underpass.
: The give away features are the church he drives past, laying back from the road (I believe it is a Christopher Wren church), & the building to the immediate right of the church as you view the scene. The bridge he passes under is called Cannon Bridge & there is an office block built on top these days. This leads to Cannon Street railway station.
: All the other buildings near the church are gone.
: The building to the left of the lights (Queen Street Place) was used by the OXO company in 1965 - the second 'O' is obscured by the traffic light post, no product placement allowed in 1965 eh? The building is still there however.
: To the right of the lights (Queen Street) the buildings have been swept away & rebuilt. It is now closed to traffic & a barrier prevents access.
: Ahead is the continuation of Upper Thames Street. It has since been widened so that the road as it was then is now the westbound half of a dual carriage way. The buildings on the right behind the "Drinka Pinta Milka Day" poster have been demolished & the eastbound half of the dual carriage way created in their place.
: So now we know.
: Keith

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]