[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

GCC- Advice for new home?

Posted by on Mon, Feb 02 2015 at 10:02 AM CST:

Hello.
Today I'm meeting/hopefully taking home Skittle, a 2 year old unsexed GCC that I saw advertised on Craigslist. He/she comes from a home where the original owners simply don't have time to take care of him/her anymore (new baby, jobs, school).
I've read every page on this site and numerous others in preparation but still am anxious if I'll be providing proper care. The nice thing is, he/she comes with the cage and everything else so it won't be a COMPLETELY new environment but I want to make sure I'm providing a smooth transition into the family.
After Skittle gets settled, I read it's a good idea to bring them to the vet. Would this be stressful to do right away?

Any advice on this transition would be great!

Also, I've looked into such things as heated perches and full spectrum lighting that sits on top of the bird's cage. I don't want Skittle to develop a vitamin D deficiency. I live in Wisconsin, and although my apartment isn't cold, it's not warm like their natural South American habitat. What is your experience with heat sources in the cage/ full spectrum lighting?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]