[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

How to try and stop your Greencheek from biting:

Posted by on Fri, Oct 03 2014 at 05:11 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Green Cheek Conure posted by Sean on Tue, Aug 12 2014 at 10:12 PM CDT:

: My conure loves to be pet around the neck and above the eye. When doing so he will fluff his feathers and turn his head almost 3/4 of the way around and this is how I figure he likes it. However, lately he has started to nip at me in the process. It started as what I thought was an over excitement "tasting" of my finger, but has progessed to be a hard nip and I have been giving him the shake and the occasional beak grab while telling him no and then sending him back to his cage. Do you have any thoughts as to why he may be giving these nips?

My little greecheek started biting when he was going through his first moult. I asked a breeder how I could stop this. Her advice was to put him down each time he bit me, and to walk out of the room for about five minutes. This seemed a severe thing to do because he looked so down in the mout when I came back; but I persevered, and he has stopped. Shaking him or grabbing his beak only makes him worse because he thinks it is a game. I am not saying this method will work for you, but Paulie was only just coming up to his first birthday, and I had to do some-thing as these are endearing little birds, but I also have grand children who come to see me from time to time. Anything is worth a try if you want the pleasure of your pet.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]