[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: My bird seems to hate me...

Posted by Revika on Tue, Jul 08 2014 at 03:10 AM CDT:

In Reply to: My bird seems to hate me... posted by Dana on Mon, Jun 09 2014 at 02:21 PM CDT:

Try working with him when your boyfriend is not in the room. Chances are, your gcc has bonded with your bf and finds you to be a threat.

The best and easiest method IMO is bribery. Find out his most favorite treat that only YOU will give him. Start with target training and hands-free tricks to give him the treats. Try bonding with him a bit more slowly and learn to read his body language.

Keep in mind he should be hitting (or at the end of) his puberty so he's still at that hormonal, JERK of a teenager. Figure out what causes him to lash out at you and avoid those actions for a while. If he doesn't want to be pet, leave him be and do some training instead. Make sure you ask to step up and hold out your hand at some distance so if he wants to, he will walk up to your hand. If he doesn't, you'll see his tell signs if he's about to bite (dilating pupils, fluffing feathers etc). If you force your bird (especially at him only being with you for a month) to do things he doesn't want to do, you are taking loans out from the Trust Bank that you likely can't cover.

Each positive reinforcement & treat puts a +1 in his Trust Bank of Dana.

Sometimes I kind of have that issue too, lol. My 8 month old GCC will be fine with me until my fiance comes into the room, then he SCRAMBLES to be on his shoulder, haha. If I try to pet him while he's in close vicinity to my fiance, he'll get grumpy and fluffed up (telling me to back off, he wants his daddy time).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]