[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: green cheek not flying as well as before

Posted by on Fri, Dec 27 2013 at 12:40 AM CST:

In Reply to: green cheek not flying as well as before posted by Lawrence M Nysschens on Thu, Dec 26 2013 at 06:18 PM CST:

: My green cheek was, when younger, able to fly from the downstairs lounge up the the second floor--by launching herself off the top of her cage. Now, after owning her for 31/2 years, she can barely fly across the lounge. I don't clip her wings. Is something wrong? Or, is it that she's grown much larger than when young, but her wing feathers have not grown as much as she has?

: if just recent, she could be close to laying an egg which they will do even if there is no male around to fertilize it. If this has been a situation getting worse as time goes on I would think it is either due to lack if enough time out if cage flying around to keep up her strength or possibly her diet has made her overweight. If you let her eat fried foods, too many sunflower seeds, etc.. And not enough fresh veggies, it could be making her overweight or at least not giving her the strength she needs. I would try encouraging her to fly more. Like when you first take her out of the cage, put her on a counter or perch and get her to fly a short distance to you. Gradually increase the distance and she will regain the needed muscles. But look for signs of labored breathing, sitting w feathers ruffled up, etc... Right after short flights. A bad diet or genetics could mean her heart is straining and may need veterinary care:(
Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]