[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

GCC

Posted by on Thu, Sep 26 2013 at 12:16 PM CDT:

Hi -- I am having a hard time finding a good diet for my GCC. He is one year old now. He gets Harrison's pellets which he successfully switched to and a spoonful of healthy seed mix and an occasional feeding of sunflower seeds as treat. He loves his carrot and gets one baby carrot everyday. Problem is, if I introduce anything outside of what I mentioned, I always find digestive complications. Twice, he started throwing up after eating some banana and apples. I took him to the vet both times and they took xrays and did all sorts of tests but couldn't find anything. By then (past 3 hours) he perked up and seemed okay. Now, I am so scared of adding anything else for the same reason. He seems to be so sensitive to almost anything outside of his diet (minus pita bread.. he can handle small portions of that no problem). Even carrots make his poop very very watery. I am not sure if there is a chronic issue. He is also not as perky/jumpy as other green cheeks I have seen. His wings were clipped and he is the only bird so I have always attributed his attitude to those (waiting for his wings to fully grow now, no clipping on my part). I am not sure what else to do. The vets here (in Canada) are absolutely useless and not experienced enough. There is only 2 avian certified vets around me one that is 200 km away. Both have seen him and say he seems fine. Any ideas from the more experienced folks? Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]