[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Advice about 6 month old

Posted by on Tue, May 21 2013 at 07:27 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Advice about 6 month old posted by Stephanie on Sun, May 05 2013 at 04:13 PM CDT:

Hi Steph,
I would suggest doing as much reading as you can about feeding and caring for your GCC. They need to eat vegetables and fruits. It is suggested that they should not eat seed. You can try looking at a website for a parrot rescue that I know in NC. Look up PhoenixLanding.org. They have a lot of information about feeding parrots and even making your own food for them. I've had my GCC for 13 years now and she's as healthy as ever. I chop up vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, beans, broccoli, etc) into tiny pieces and keep them in the freezer. Taco gets a tsp both morning and evening (defrosted), as well as a nut, bites of banana, apples, and other healthy foods during the day as I eat them. I also have her on pellets. Once in a while I give her one of those seed spray things to nibble on. There is a lot of information out there on feeding parrots, but make sure it comes from a good source. There are also "caged bird clubs" that could also give you some insight on bire care. Good luck and I hope you have many years of enjoyment with your new bird! They are a joy to be with.

: Hi All!
: Here's my story. Six years ago my neighbor was evicted and abandoned his Green Cheek. I took him in (he was near death) without a clue what to do. I didn't really want him, I have a cat, and didn't know what to do with him. Well, we muddled along and I found this board a great pet store and all was well. I had no idea how old he was. On Friday, he wasn't acting quite right and by evening he passed. My heart is broken and I am devastated.
: This morning I went to the pet shop where I bought his food and there was a six month old GCC that someone returned due to allergies. I couldn't resist and brought her home.
: Now my question. When I got Buddy six years ago he ate everything I gave him, I think because he had just been so hungry. Now that I have Minnie, I want to make sure that she has a well balanced and varied diet as well. I put the pellets in the cage, an avi-cake, a spoonful of sunflower seeds and a fresh strawberry. It's been four hours since I brought her home and she hasn't eaten, drank any water, pooped, or made any sound. I want to leave her alone for the first couple of days to give her a chance to calm down and get acclimated.
: Any advice that anyone can give me on what to do about food and contact would be greatly appreciated.
: P.S. She's very good when being handled, allowed me to pet her and doesn't bite.
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]