[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Fireplaces

Posted by Deborah on Fri, Oct 12 2012 at 11:26 AM CDT:

In Reply to: Re: Fireplaces posted by Dee on Thu, Oct 11 2012 at 09:54 PM CDT:

If the fireplace is operating properly and burning the gas cleanly, there should be no problem. If it's never been used, I might have some concern the first time it gets fired up, since residue from the manufacturing process may burn off some surfaces. The gas flames and the pilot light are no problem. It's the unburned gas that can cause problems and that you'll smell. Gas burns quite cleanly. As Mike said, it's like a gas stove, if it's working properly, no problem.

If you can run the fireplace for several hours and ventilate the house well afterwards with the birds not present until it's completely aired out, it's not a bad idea.

FWIW, electric space heaters are known to contain PTFE ("teflon") residue on the heating elements quite often. Those should always be burned in outside for several hours at top heat before use inside. They are more of a worry than gas.


Follow Ups:



Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:


[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]