In Reply to: Fireplaces posted by Dee on Tue, Oct 09 2012 at 09:22 PM CDT:
fireplaces, wood stoves and heating appliances during the winter, when people are pressured to make quick decisions due to severe weather. It’s spring, so there’s plenty of time to make an educated choice before the next heating season. As with any appliance that generates heat, some pre-purchase caution may ultimately save you and your bird’s life.
Prevailing opinion suggests that we do not house our birds in kitchens. Birds have sensitive and complex respiratory systems and feel the effects of airborne pollutants and toxins faster than we do. Kitchens contain temperature and humidity extremes as well as potentially harmful fumes from cooking and cleaning products. Possible smoke from burning foods are common in kitchens and may also adversely affect birds.
Faulty fuel lines or pilot lights on gas stoves, possible emissions from cookware or appliance components coated with nonstick polymers (polytetrafluoroethylene-PTFE) and preservatives add more ingredients to a potentially deadly recipe.
How Does It Work?
To understand how a “vent-free” fireplace works, compare it with a gas stove. Both produce an open flame and “vent” into the room instead of to the outdoors. These fireplaces do not have exhaust vents and are connected to a gas line. They may operate on propane or natural gas, similar to your kitchen stove. Following the line of thinking that would preclude you from housing your bird in the kitchen, it would be prudent not to locate your bird in a room with a gas fireplace.
So yes keep them away from the fireplace
Post a Followup