[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: GCC wont try new...anything

Posted by on Thu, Oct 04 2012 at 06:38 AM CDT:

In Reply to: GCC wont try new...anything posted by Morgan on Wed, Oct 03 2012 at 02:21 AM CDT:

: I got a green cheek conure recenly, hes almost 4 months old. He wont try any new foods, I swear all he will eat is millet and sunflower seeds. I've tried fresh fruit and veggies, oatmeal and even treats and he wont even try them! im not sure hot to train him if he wont take treats! He also doesnt seem interested in any of his new toys,and is more scared of them. I'm not sure if it just takes time or if theres a trick? Thanks for the help!

The problem is, millet and seeds are treats; like chocolate or candy would be to a child. so of course you have a little bit of a challenge weaning him away from the treats and onto healthy choices. But it is your r responsibility to do it, you are the adult in charge and you will have a sick little fellow if you don't.
The other poster is correct, you want to go to a pellet diet. A good first pellet for you would be ZuPreem fruity pellets because they are sweet and your bird will think its a cookie or something. Pretend that you are eating them and make a big fuss about how yummy it is. Then offer him one from your hand. Chances are, it will be accepted because the bird just witnessed you "eat" it. Go from there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]