[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: My new Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Posted by Karen on Thu, Sep 20 2012 at 01:38 PM CDT:

In Reply to: My new Pineapple Green Cheek Conure posted by Patrick on Mon, Sep 17 2012 at 07:45 PM CDT:

That cage size is fine but a little bigger would be ideal.
You are mostly doing things right. However, try to avoid the temptation to give him too much attention. Yes, GCC's need plenty of attention but he should learn to entertain himself and play with toys as well. Otherwise, you will have a bird who is absolutely miserable when he can't get constant attention from you.
If you spend some time encouraging him to play with his toys (and he should have lots of toys and other things to play with) and also sometimes leave him alone (either caged or better on a playgym or cagetop you are in the room) he will end up being happier.
Sunflower seeds are high in fat and should be considered a treat, not a regular part of the diet. I would remove the seeds from his seed mix and save them out seperately. Use them for training, and maybe hide a couple in his cage when you need to put him in to encourage him to explore. Most birds prefer to have to forage for their food a bit anyway.
Peanuts also are only a treat food. I would not give him any peanuts that are sold as bird food anyway, as they are usually raw and may be contaminated with fungus. Roasted unsalted peanuts sold for people are safe but too high in fat to be more than an occasional treat.
Nearly all fruits and veggies that are healthy for people are good for birds (just avoid avocados and cherry pits). The darker the color, the more nutritious it is. Try peppers of any kind (most parrots really love hot peppers), sweet potato, carrot, peas, green beans, winter squash, pitted cherries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, ect. Appples and grapes are ok but not particularly nutritious. Try a bit of chopped or grated raw carrot - I bet he'll like that as much as the apple and it's better for him.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]