[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Behavior Problem?

Posted by Deborah on Wed, Jul 25 2012 at 05:34 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Behavior Problem? posted by Lauren A. on Wed, Jul 25 2012 at 03:39 PM CDT:

As a friend of mine said once, they are wierd little birds!

That said, he's awfully young to be displaying those kind of behaviors. I think he's figured out how to push you around... he wants to be on your head (they really seem to like that) and he has figured out that biting you dissuades you from getting him down successfully.

Figure out what behaviors you want from him and find ways to reinforce those behaviors -- train him. If he likes treats, that can be a good reinforcer. I wouldn't let him on your head anymore until you can ask him to step off and get a polite response.

Does he have plenty of toys and things in his cage? It sounds as if he may be getting a little territorial about the hut. Some people advise against them, but my GCC has one and he sleeps in it all the time. They are full-time cavity dwellers in the wild.

My bird will play under his cage paper on the top of the cage on the playstand, and he growls, and chatters and makes all kinds of noise in there. It is definitely playing house, and I can't just reach up there to get him. But we have worked out a truce where if I pick the paper up and tell him it is time to go into his house, he will politely step up for me, so I let him do it. However, if he were becoming over all territorial, I'd take the paper away at least for a while.

Once they learn to bite, it can be difficult to get them to stop, and GCC are quick to learn that particular trick. Figure out what he's getting out of it and try to avoid rewarding him inadvertently. For a bored bird, any drama, including cursing and yelling at them, can be a "reward".

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]