[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Green Cheek Diet- Help Please!

Posted by Deborah on Sat, Jul 14 2012 at 11:26 AM CDT:

In Reply to: Green Cheek Diet- Help Please! posted by Lauren A. on Thu, Jul 12 2012 at 07:43 PM CDT:

I lot of people are down on Kaytee, but I'm not sure it's really that bad. Certainly, if you want to make a transition, do it gradually. Birds can actually starve themselves to death if they don't like what is being offered.

Kaytee Fiesta is a fortified seed mixture, and since my GCC also came from Petsmart and was on a seed-based diet, I can vouch that it can be very difficult to get them to switch to a pelleted diet. In fact, although my other two birds happily eat pellets, Scooter is offered a seed and pellet mix and he really still doesn't much eat the pellets.

Fortunately, he really likes his fruits and veggies so I don't worry too much.

To get your bird to eat more fresh food, I'd suggest that you keep offering it to him. Sometimes it's the third or tenth or one-hundredth time that they finally decide to try it. After two years, Scooter has decided he actually likes the dry pasta I've been adding to his seed and pellet mix. Experiment with cutting it up in different ways -- Scooter seems to prefer very small pieces rather than huge chunks. He can use his feet to eat, but prefers to pick up the pieces with his beak. His favorites are corn, berries, sugar snap peas and grapes.

Another tactic some people have success with is to eat with your bird (eating is a flock activity) and mimic eating the same food then offer it to your bird. This could work well if you are well bonded and your bird is totally comfortable with and sees you as a flockmate. Just don't offer food directly from your mouth.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]