[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Flying over seas with green conure

Posted by Karen on Fri, May 18 2012 at 01:47 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Flying over seas with green conure posted by Magdalena on Sun, May 13 2012 at 06:06 PM CDT:

It's pretty difficult to transport parrots (or other animals) internationally. I would be more worried about that than the travel time. Birds usually travel fairly well, just use a sturdy carrier with a low perch and provide a bowl with some sliced fruit or other favorite foods, and if he's in cargo, tape a container of dry food to the carrier with instructions to feed your bird if the flight gets delayed.
You might be allowed to bring your bird into the passenger cabin for the flight to Newark (depending on the airline) but I think your bird would need to travel cargo for the international flight.

Now getting your bird to Sweden might be more of a problem.
This is what I could find about bringing a pet bird to Sweden:
http://www.sjv.se/swedishboardofagriculture/engelskasidor/animals/import/petbirds.4.6621c2fb1231eb917e680003127.html

It sounds like you would need to get an import license for your bird within 30 days of traveling, then before traveling your bird will need to be kept in isolation for 10 days (it sounds like they might just allow home quarantine but who knows) and then finally vet checked and disease tested within 2 days of traveling. And then, if there are any problems they would have the right to kill your bird or ship it right back since apparently there's no quarantine facility in Sweden.

If you decide not to bring your conure with you, perhaps you could find a local bird rescue/shelter. A rescue may be able to help you find someone who's interested in adopting a bird. I don't know of any bird rescues near you, the closest I can think of quickly is MAARS (midwest avian adoption), they might be able to help you find a reputable rescue closer to you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]