In Reply to: Re: What does everyone feed their GGC? Great Educational Resource. posted by martha on February 07, 2012 at 13:06:32:
Here is a basic list
Things not to feed your conure:
1. Avocado – Though conures love to eat fruits, avocadoes are an exception to that rule. One of the reasons why this fruit is not ideal for conure consumption is because of the high oil and high fat content.
2. Chocolate – Even if humans enjoy eating confectionery, conures won't feel the same way. Studies have shown that chocolate fed to certain types of animals, like dogs and birds, can lead to chocolate toxicity, which can lead to death. This may be attributed to theobromin, a substance found in cacao.
3. Potato chips, pretzels – Salty snacks are not ideal for conures, or for any other pet for that matter. Introducing salt to their diet may cause an imbalance in their internal environment, which leads to many health problems.
4. Dairy products – Birds are generally lactose intolerant, and feeding them milk, yogurt, or any other creamy food may cause stomach upset.
5. Sweets – Candy is not considered as an ideal treat to feed conures. Like chocolate, these substances can lead to heart ailments and liver failure if fed in excessive amounts. Also, some sweets have caffeine, and that is a big no-no for small animals.
Always consult with your avian vet regarding making changes in the diet of your conure. Note that there are other foods to watch out for, so be sure you know what you are feeding your pet.
Post a Followup