[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: What does everyone feed their GGC? Great Educational Resource.

Posted by Deborah on February 06, 2012 at 13:22:54:

In Reply to: Re: What does everyone feed their GGC? Great Educational Resource. posted by Martha on February 06, 2012 at 11:29:26:

IMO most of the good pellet brands are nutritionally equivalent -- Harrison's is good and it's certified organic, but it's also pretty pricey. Roudybush is also good, and I like Zupreem although some people freak out about the sugar and artificial color.

My GCC came to me as a seed-eater and I've never been able to fully convert him to pellets. They can literally starve themselves to death, so you have to be very careful trying to convert "cold turkey". He gets free access to a mixture of seed, grains and pellets. In addition he gets, and eats copiously, a mixture of fruits and veggies in the morning. In the evening he gets sprouts. Sprouting is a good way to get seed eaters to eat "Fresh" foods.

Dried fruits are fine in moderation as treats, but can add up to a lot of sugar very quickly.

Salty snacks should be VERY limited -- too much salt is problematic and can even be fatal. It's a dosage thing, but GCC are tiny.

They do need exposure to UV light in order to synthesize vitamin-D. They need actual direct exposure to the light -- glass blocks the UV. You can get specially coated CFL bulbs that emit in the UV, but you must replace them every 6 months even though they still appear to work fine and they are pricey. Birds also see further into the UV than we do, so I tend to go for the full spectrum bulbs in the cage area. Just be sure they are really full spectrum bulbs -- "Daylight balanced" is not the same thing.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]