[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: she 'steps up' but cant get her off my shoulder

Posted by Deborah on January 31, 2012 at 12:49:34:

In Reply to: she 'steps up' but cant get her off my shoulder posted by jen on January 31, 2012 at 02:18:41:

Is she fully flighted?

You need to do some training, and enforce some rules. Try not to let her run up on your shoulder without invitation. Block her with your hand and tell her no. Some people don't allow their birds on their shoulder at all and there are good arguments for that. Personally I do allow mine, but by invitation only.

Once she's there, you need to reinforce her positively to step off. You may want to develop a different voice signal for that, or you can use "Step up". First make sure it is well reinforced going back and forth from hand to perch. Use whatever treat or form of attention she is willing to "work for". Once she's solid with that not involving the shoulder, pick a time when you can be very patient and then hold out asking her to step off the shoulder until she makes a solid effort and give her lots of praise/treats for it.

Yoga helps too.

Just kidding, mostly.

In all seriousness, if you keep grabbing and forcing she will eventually bite and if it is effective to do so, she'll keep doing it. Best to avoid that and influence her to make the choice you want voluntarily.

Since it sounds as if she is fully flighted, you will have to be more patient and work a bit harder.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]