[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

New GCC expectations

Posted by on January 25, 2012 at 12:43:46:

Hello!

Exactly one week ago we brought home a hand fed, 9 week old yellow-sided green cheek conure, who we selected from a local breeder.

I have previous experience with smaller birds (cockatiels and budgies), my husband has no "bird smarts".

Poe, our beautiful baby boy is WONDERFUL. We had been discussing adding a bird to our home for a couple of years, and actively researching gccs for quite a few months now - we do not take adding a new family member lightly, and wanted to make sure we were as prepared as we could be.

Poe has surprised us both and is far surpassing our expectations. Within the first few hours of being home, he was demanding cuddles - he now spends the vast majority of his day curled up in my hair, "preening" me while I work. He has already picked up on "step up", and squawks at me when he needs to poop (pooping in only done in his house). He is absolutely fearless, and will explore EVERYTHING - as well as chase the cats off of the couch. He displays his gorgeous plumage whenever someone says "Pretty Poe", and in the past 2 days has begun to mimic the tempo of our voices when we say it and spread his wings for attention.

We've had him for 7 days. I am absolutely amazed at how quickly he has adjusted and become comfortable.

My concern is that if I ever have to place him back in his house, he acts as though it is the end of the world. We have ensured that he has a very large home, with a variety of toys and different perches, delicious foods to enjoy, and anything we could think of that he might want... but he HATES being away from me, and there are times when - even though I am home - I am unable to keep an eye on him.

I am wondering if this is a stage that he will grow out of in time and is just because he is so young and in a new environment, or if we will spend the next 25 years or so with him screaming bloody murder whenever he is not in DIRECT contact with us.

Thanks!
Kae

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]