[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Broken femur

Posted by Deborah on November 18, 2011 at 14:28:22:

In Reply to: Re: Broken femur posted by Frankie & Rainbow on November 17, 2011 at 12:42:09:

It sounds to me as if Rainbow is doing great! I think you should stop beating up on yourself, it was an accident, you got him prompt medical care, and it sounds as if he will likely heal with little or no permanent disability. That's great news!

The only other thing you could do is analyze the accident and see if there is anything you can change in your handling of him to reduce the chances of another accident. Flight might or might not make a difference one way or the other. I personally have my GCC lightly clipped and I never leave him unattended out of the cage for more than a few minutes. My greatest fear is losing track of where he is and rolling over him with my office chair or catching him in my keyboard drawer mechanism or something like that, so I try to be aware of where he is whenever he's not on his cage or a playstand. YMMV. I know people who are smug that they have the safest possible management strategy, but in practice I think we all make compromises and take risks, and sometimes bad things happen even when we are very good caretakers for our fids.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]