[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

I can't believe this! Our family moved to a new state last year and SM

Posted by anon this time on March 02, 2005 at 18:22:19:

my 14-year-old daughter started at a new junior high school. So far she likes it and everything has been fine. Well until last week when apparently she had maxxed out on her tardies and then mouthed off to a teacher. I couldn't believe it when I found a note in her room this morning that was addressed to her parents that stated she'd been paddled!

I had no idea schools still paddled students, did you? I'm considering speaking to an attorney to see if this is legal. Not that the district can't spank kids but that they didn't inform me first! I dug up an old handbook from earlier in the year that does briefly mention corporal punishment (yes we do live in a southern state) but I'd never noticed it. I still believe they should have called me first. I'm furious!

I would rather have dealt with my daughter's behavior here at home! She hates being grounded so if the school had at least contacted me first I could have taken care of it at home. It just disgusts me that an adult paddled my daughter at school without me knowing.

I asked my daughter this afternoon if the principal even mentioned to her about calling her parents first, and she said they never said anything about her parents except that they would be sending a note home from school. I think the whole episode embarrassed my daughter enough that she didnt't want me to know about it.

What are your opinions on this and should I proceed with legal action against the district for not asking me about this in advance?

I look forward to hearing your ideas. I'm furious!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]