[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

I strongly disagree

Posted by sm on Sat, Jun 04 2022 at 02:43 PM CDT:

In Reply to: But how do I proted my loved ones from y'all wildly spraying bullets posted by to protect yours. Even highly trained people prove to be lousy shots under stress. nm on Fri, Jun 03 2022 at 10:57 PM CDT:

Part of the training to become a highly trained person is to remain calm under stress. This is especially true for those in law enforcement. Shooting clubs have competitions called "practical pistol" that requires not just accuracy, but also calm for split second decisions. Many shooting ranges have live-action videos for practice (very realistic).

I once read a book that had a chapter on mental practice. You take an imaginary situation and practice your response, over and over. I chose to practice a home intrusion with me in bed. I planned my response and replayed it over and over in my head, for weeks and then over the years. One day it happened in real life and my response was exactly as I had practiced and I am fine.

I agree that many people would be lousy shots under stress and suggest they need more training before they consider using a weapon for self defense. I would be happy to see us required to prove ourselves before we purchase a specific weapon. A law like that wouldn't stop mass shootings (other than not being able to buy it and use it immediately), but it would cut back on "accidental" shootings ...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]