[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

The 30% is an average. Lactose tolerance in adulthood

Posted by is still very much different in different ethnic groups. sm on Wed, Jun 02 2021 at 07:48 AM CDT:

In Reply to: I'm also lactose intolerant. Did you know humans are the only posted by mammal that continues to have milk/milk products SM on Tue, Jun 01 2021 at 08:42 AM CDT:

No group is 100% lactose tolerant, but a few come close. And then there are the ones where 100% of adults are lactose INtolerant. It pays to consider your ethnic background when evaluating your chances, but realize someone is almost always in that small outlying percent marching to a different drummer than their heritage would indicate.

I'm a mixture of English from the areas once part of the Danelaw, Scots from the Hebrides and northeastern islands (where the Norse were in control for several centuries), Dutch, and North German. Milk is no problem for me, but then it's a problem for only a small minority of those populations. I'm entirely descended from peoples in the top 10 countries in the world for percent of the population that is lactose tolerant. Lactose intolerance in those countries ranges between 4% and 16%.

The current estimate of 36% of people being lactose intolerant in the US is an average over all our many and diverse ethnic groups, including a large number of Native Americans, Hispanics, Blacks, and Asians, populations where it runs higher than in those of Northern European ancestry. It is 48% lactose intolerant in Mexico, 95% to 85% in the areas of Africa most Black's African ancestors came from, and in Asia runs from 40% in India to 85% in China, 98% in Vietnam, and 100% in Korea.

"American" doesn't mean much when talking about population genetics.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]