[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Bringing up South Beach Diet ketchup (Estellized, of course!) from way below.

Posted by Estelle on Thu, May 10 2012 at 11:14 PM CDT:

I've made this ketchup before, and I think it works well. I will make my notes in parentheses. My notes may alter carb intake, so note that I'm not following this strictly for the sake of watching carbs. I have found "a" recipe that does not contain HFCS, and it's something I can make at home, so this is it. : ) This makes about a cup of ketchup.

SOUTH BEACH KETCHUP~~ESTELLE'S WAY

1 8-oz can tomato sauce

3/4 C tomato paste

2 T sugar substitute
(stevia worked great for me; if you're not attempting carb watch, I'm sure sugar will do just fine)

2 tsp onion powder
(I grate a little onion juice instead of using onion powder; I don't mind the little extra texture)

2 tsp light soy sauce

1/2 tsp ground cloves
(for MY personal taste, that is just waaaaaay too much cloves!! you DO need a hint of cloves for the backdrop flavor of ketchup, but personally even 1/4 tsp would be too much, lol)

1/2 tsp allspice
(again, I'm not crazy about the strong clovy flavor that allspice brings, and in conjunction with cloves, I personally believe it to be way too much. However, I'm more inclined to use full amt of allspice and do away w/ cloves altogether. I think 1/4 tsp would be sufficient w/ the 1/4 tsp cloves; again, this is MY taste)

1-1/2 TBS malt vinegar

*****MY additions for a little Southwest/Tex-Mex flavor:

1/4 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder (honestly suprised that's not in there already)

1/2 tsp garlic powder (again, very surprised that's not in there along w/ onion)

1/2 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

In a large pot over medium heat, combine the tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar/substitute, spices, soy sauce and vinegar. Simmer for 5 minutes. Refrigerate until serving. Keeps covered in the refrigerator for 1 week. Note: I've kept this for a month w/ no problem.

It's a kind of thick ketchup, so if you'd like it thinner, perhaps add a little water to the mixture. I could be wrong, but if you add stock (for flavor component), I think it might spoil quicker.

Enjoy! : ) This will at least give you a start to making your own ketchup. Experiment and find your flavor. : )

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]