[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Thanks for this recipe. It is really delicious!

Posted by nm on December 19, 2010 at 23:01:56:

In Reply to: The best vegetable beef soup ever. sm posted by farley on November 11, 2010 at 19:06:47:

: Vegetable Beef Soup

: 1 pound of beef, cut into chunks
: 1 onion, diced
: 1 stalk of celery, sliced
: 2 cloves of garlic, minced
: 2 cans diced tomatoes
: 1/2 of a large can of tomato juice
: 1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
: 1 bay leaf
: 1 tsp paprika

: 1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables.
: 1 potato, diced

: Brown beef in a little bit of oil, add onion and celery. Cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook until golden.

: Add 8 cups of water, 1/2 can of tomato juice, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, bay leaf, Worchesterchire sauce, and paprika. Simmer for an hour or so until beef is tender.

: Add potato and vegetables. Continue to simmer until the potato is tender.

: Serve with homemade bread and butter.

: It works well with leftover beef too. I use sirloin or round steak, or you can use stew beef if you want, but cut it in to smaller chunks.

: You can use fresh vegetables if you have them, instead of frozen. This is a great recipe to use up those bags of frozen corn, peas and greenbeans with a half cup left in the bag. You can use canned vegetables too if you prefer. I use whatever I have on hand.

: If you don't have potatoes, you can use macaroni, rice, or noodles. They all work just fine.

: This was my mom's recipe, and my grandmother's before her. They could make soup out of anything. I remember "soup nights" when I was growing up. When we came home from school there would be a big pot of soup simmering on the stove, and homemade bread. We didn't have a regular dinner time those nights. We just helped ourselves whenever we were hunger all evening long. It was a real treat for us.

: I was grown up before I realized that it was a good, cheap way to feed a family of 7, and use up leftovers when the pantry was getting bare and it was still a week to payday!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]