2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 of a large can of tomato juice
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tsp paprika

1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables.
1 potato, diced

Brown beef in a little bit of oil, add onion and celery. Cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook until golden.

Add 8 cups of water, 1/2 can of tomato juice, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, bay leaf, Worchesterchire sauce, and paprika. Simmer for an hour or so until beef is tender.

Add potato and vegetables. Continue to simmer until the potato is tender.

Serve with homemade bread and butter.

It works well with leftover beef too. I use sirloin or round steak, or you can use stew beef if you want, but cut it in to smaller chunks.

You can use fresh vegetables if you have them, instead of frozen. This is a great recipe to use up those bags of frozen corn, peas and greenbeans with a half cup left in the bag. You can use canned vegetables too if you prefer. I use whatever I have on hand.

If you don't have potatoes, you can use macaroni, rice, or noodles. They all work just fine.

This was my mom's recipe, and my grandmother's before her. They could make soup out of anything. I remember "soup nights" when I was growing up. When we came home from school there would be a big pot of soup simmering on the stove, and homemade bread. We didn't have a regular dinner time those nights. We just helped ourselves whenever we were hunger all evening long. It was a real treat for us.

I was grown up before I realized that it was a good, cheap way to feed a family of 7, and use up leftovers when the pantry was getting bare and it was still a week to payday!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]