[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Double Cherry Cheese Pie - This is what I did with some of the cherries - sm

Posted by Carol Reese on September 26, 2010 at 23:19:17:

we picked up in Montana. It was a big hit with The Seamier Side - my quilt guild stitch group.

We first had cherry pie made with both types of cherries when we lived in Utah back in the late 1970s, made with both the sweet cherries and tree-ripened tart (pie) cherries, which are so much more flavorful and sweeter, though still tart, than you get in the cans. We didn't get to pick pie cherries, though, because they ripen later than the sweet cherries, and we couldn't hang around any longer. THe cherries were about 2 weeks later than usual this year anyway.

Double Cherry Cheese Pie

9 inch pie shell*

1 cup sugar or Splenda blend for baking
5-7 tablespoons flour
dash salt (optional)
teaspoon almond extract (8-10 drops)
1 cups pitted dark sweet cherries, (fresh, frozen, canned) (approx 1 lb)
1 cups pitted tart cherries (fresh, frozen, canned) (approx 1 lb)
1 tablespoon soft butter or margarine (optional)

Drain cherries separately. Discard juice from tart cherries. Save juice from the dark sweet cherries. If there is more than cup, youll need the larger amount of flour.

Mix sugar, flour, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk in juice from sweet cherries. Mix in the cherries. Pour into pie shell. Dot with softened butter. Cover the edge of the pie shell with a foil strip to prevent overbrowning.

Bake at 400-425 degrees until the filling is set. Cool.

Cream Cheese Topping

8 oz cream cheese, softened
to 1 cup milk
1 box vanilla flavored instant pudding

When the pie has cooled, beat the cream cheese to soften. Gradually add milk and instant pudding and beat until it starts to set up. Pour onto top of pie. Chill until set.

*If you buy pie shells, be sure to get the 9" deep dish shell. The regular 9" will be too shallow for both the cherries and the topping, though there will be enough for 2 of those. My favorite pie plates are the 9 ones with the fluted edges. This should work in a regular 9" pie plate, though there may be more pudding than you need.

Of course, you can bake the cherry pie with a regular top crust or lattice top crust and serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.

I usually use nonfat milk, but I dont like the low-fat cream cheese, so dont use it though Im sure it will work, too.

Carol Reese

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]