[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Winter squash ala Shawn....(sm)

Posted by Shawn on November 10, 2009 at 20:42:38:

I'll take a winter squash (any that are in season now along w/pumpkins, as opposed to crook neck or zucchini- what I call summer squash) and--
1. Wash it off.
2. Get your husband to whack it open in half for you (cause they're hard to do). At any rate, you'll need a heavy knife and sometimes have to stick it in point first and then whack the whole darn thing on the counter until the knife splits it open...Be Careful...LOL (SGTex suggests a meat-cleaver WHAM!!)
3. Get a pyrex or aluminum or corningware dish and put about 1/2 inch of water in it for steaming purposes(can do this after you've propped up the squash in the dish. This can be the last thing you do before popping in the oven, step 7.
4. Take out the seeds w/a tablespoon and all the little thready things (can dry the seeds and roast them in oil and seasoning mix, by the way, or dry and put them in the garden).
5. Put the 2 halves of squash in the dish, can prop them up with some heavy foil wadded up to keep them from tipping totally over, but if they tip a bit, no problem...
6. I cut up bacon and fry it until it's just past pink, still limp but not icky...lay that in the scooped out hole. Top with some brown sugar- a couple of heaped tablespoons will do, but do it to taste. Then add about a heaping tablespoon of margarine or butter, and sprinkle with pepper.
7. Put in oven and bake probably an hour at 350-375, check it. Add the water at this point, if you prefer. You'll smell it when it's done or can test it by sticking a fork in the peeling and see that it's soft.
8. When done remove carefully if there's still water...

It's excellent with baked ham or turkey for holidays, meatloaf, etc...Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]