[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

My Great Aunt Ruth's Pound Cake -

Posted by Carol Reese on January 15, 2009 at 18:22:05:

This is a simple recipe, but does take 15-20 minutes to actually mix. There's no baking powder or soda, so you are beating the air into this cake, so take the time to mix it thoroughly. I cannot imagine making this with an old hand egg beater, but I'm pretty sure my aunt must have done so. She and her sister both received oil lamps for wedding presents around 1920, give or take a couple of years. They had some of them turned into electric lamps (I have 3 of them), but I'm not sure when. I usually use butter, but have used margarine. Just make sure you get real margarine, not spread. You want something with about 11 grams fat per serving, the same as butter. Same deal as for making cookies. Butter and margarine keep well, so if you keep eggs around, you can pretty much have the ingredients for this cake on hand all the time. (And eggs keep well, too.)

Aunt Ruth's Pound Cake

1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
6 large eggs
2 cups flour

Heat oven to 300 F.

Grease and flour a tube pan or large loaf pan (9.5 by 5 by 3 inches - usually this size is metal and the glass ones are smaller).

Beat butter to soften. Cream butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Add extracts and mix thoroughly. Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition, about 1 minute on medium speed of mixer. Add flour gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. Turn into pan.

Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool about 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on rack.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]