Makes 4 servings
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cooking oil spray
8 slices sweet French or challah bread, about 1 inch thick (8 to 12 oz. total)
1. In a shallow bowl, whisk to blend eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
2. Lightly mist a 10- by 15-inch nonstick pan with cooking oil spray.
3. Soak bread thoroughly on each side, a few pieces at a time, in egg mixture.
4. Place slices slightly apart in a single layer in baking pan.
5. Bake in a 500° oven until toast is golden on bottom, about 5 minutes. With a wide spatula, turn slices over and bake until other side is browned, about 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer hot French toast to plates.
6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, drizzle with maple syrup, and serve with orange wedges, squeezing juice onto toast.
Calories: 237 (17% from fat)
Fat: 4.6g (sat 1.2)
Sunset, JANUARY 1998
Post a Followup