[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Peanut Butter Puffs, Sesame Street Cookies, and Rice Custard - sm

Posted by Carol Reese on December 07, 2008 at 12:58:42:

Both of these cookie recipes are pretty quick, and don't make huge batches. I frequently make the Peanut Butter Puffs and Rice Custard on the same day, but the Rice Custard, while quick to mix up, takes about an hour and a half to bake.

Sesame Street Cookies

1/2 cup flour (not sifted)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup oil
3 Tablespoons water
1 egg
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup raisins (optional) Or add up to 1 cup of nuts, craisins, whatever combination you like, even chocolate chips.

Mix it all up in a large bowl. Grease the cookie sheets - very important or these will stick badly. Drop by rounded teaspoonsful on to cookie sheets. These spread so space them 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes. Makes 3-4 dozen.

I always line my cookie sheets with foil for quicker clean up, but grease that, too. I've not tried the new nonstick foil for these, but I think I'd still grease that. I use cooking oil spray. These stick badly if you don't do this because there is so little oil in them. For a second cooky sheet, use a new piece of foil or wipe the used foil with a paper towel to remove "crumbs" and regrease it.

Anytime I bake any cookies, I tear off 2 or 3 or 4 sheets of foil to fit the cookie sheet and drop or slice the cookies on those, then just slide the hot cookeies on the foil off and slide the next sheet of foil onto the cookie sheet.

Oh, this recipe, untitled, was in Sesame Stree Magazine in 1972 or so. Kids can do this with a little help with measuring and using the oven. Just make sure they mix everything up to an even consistency.

Peanut Butter Puffs

2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter

Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Adding sugar very gradually, beat till stiff peaks form. Beat peanut butter to soften; fold thoroughly into meringue.

Drop from teaspoon 1 inch apart on greased cooky sheet. Bake in slow oven (325 F) about 20 minutesor until lishgtly browned. Cool slightly; removed from pan. Makes 24.

All 24 of these will fit on a jelly roll pan, so the whole batch is done in one session with the oven.

Rice Custard

3 eggs plus 2 yolks, well-beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 cups milk, scalded
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups cooked, cooled rice
1/cup seedless raisins (optioinal)
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash cinnamon
dash nutmeg

In blender, combine eggs, sugar, and salt (if used). With blender whirling at low to medium speed, slowly add the warm milk, then vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. POur over rice and raisins in greased 1-quart casserole. Set casserole in another shallow pan (9x13 or 3-quart); pour hot water into pan to 1-inch deep. Bake in slow oven (325 F) about 1-1/2 hours, until custard is set in the center.

Makes 4-6 servings.

Scalding may not be necessary, but I still do it for baked custards. I don't check temp, but do heat the milk in the microwave. I use 2% milk.

This is a good recipe for using up leftover rice. I mostly leave salt out of recipes, or just use half what is called for or just a dash. If I've prepared the leftover rice with salt, I leave this out. If I make rice for this recipe, I don't salt it. I usually make 1 cup of Minute rice for use for dinner, and have enough left over. If I cook it for this recipe, I use about 2/3 cup. Of course, it uses the egg yolks from the peanut butter puffs. Actually, this recipe called for just 2 eggs, but we like it much better with the extra egg and the extra yolks. Plus, since the Peanut BUtter Puffs and the custard both use a 325-degree oven, this works out well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]