[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Sugar Cinnamon Cookies - my "famous pecan cookies" - sm

Posted by Carol Reese on March 29, 2008 at 18:31:30:

Sugar Cinnamon Cookies (Pecan Refrigerator Cookies)

1 pound margarin
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, black walnuts)

Cream: Margarine, sugars, eggs, vanilla.

Mix Together: Flour, baking soad, cinnamon. Stir in nuts.

Add flour mixture to creamed mixture a little at a time.

Chill dough until easy to handle. Form into rolls about 2 inches in diameter. (Makes about 6-8 rolls.)

Chill until firm. Slice about 1/4 inch thick. (Slight thinner for crispy cookies, thicker for softer cookies.)

Bake at 400 F for 8 to 12 minutes.

Makes about 8-10 dozen.

I used to run the pecans through the blender so they were fairly finely chopped. I did this because my father in law had no teeth but loved pecans. Becauase of chopping them, the cookies had a better pecan flavor. Now, I just chop them, but I do it just before I make the cookies rather than buying the chopped ones. (I usually get the broken ones because they're less expensive.)

Another reason I love these is that the rolls of dough keep for several weeks in the refrigerator and several months in the freezer and an be sliced and baked right out of the freezer. You can bake up a dozen or two anytime without all the mess.

Oh, one other note. This recipe fills up the bowl on my Oster stand mixer. Really full, actually to slightly overflowing. It's thick, of course, but can get a little messy by the time you get the last of the flour mixture mixed into the other stuff. Definitely worthwhile, though. People are always asking for this recipe.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]