[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Here's one for leftover ham - sm

Posted by Carol Reese on March 27, 2008 at 15:03:11:

Got this from a Diabetic cooking mag I get. Can't recall which one. I have modified it slightly, though. I'll put original amounts in [].

Easy Cheesy Ham and Veggie Rice Casserole

1 packet boil-in-bag brown rice (2 cups cooked)
6-10 ounces diced or chopped ham [6 oz.]
2 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
1 cup matchstick carrots
3 ounces Swiss cheese, broken into small pieces or grated/shredded [2 oz]
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, broken into small pieces or grated [3 oz]
1 Tablespoon margarine
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper of 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Cook rice in larbe saucepan according to package directions; omit salt and fat. Remove packet when cooked, place in colander to drain.

Add broccoli and carrots to water in saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover an dismmer 3 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Drain vegetables. Put rice and veggies back in saucepan. Heat over mdium low. Add ham, Swiss cheese, 2 ounces cheddar, margarine, and cayenne. Stir gently. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheddar. Cover and cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts.

Makes 4 servings (about 1-1/2 cups each).

My Notes: I just mix it all together and stire while heating until the cheese is all melted.

If you are cooking for one or two, this freezes well or another meal. Reheat at about 325 F or in the microwave.

A 10-ounce pack of Hillshaire Farms deli-sliced smoked ham works well. Just cut it up with a knife.

I sometimes cut the carrots into matchsticks (juliennes) but I also just make thin slices which is faster.

I don't always get the boil-in-bag rice. Just cook enough brown or white rice of your choice to make about 2 cups. If you do that, you won't have the rice water to cook the veggies, so just cook them.

Be careful with the cayenne or hot sauce! It adds a good flavor, but it's easy to get too much!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]