1 to 1-1/2 cups nuts (peanuts, pecans, walnutss, almonds, etc.)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt, if nuts are unsalted (skip additional salt if nuts are salted)
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teasponn vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
• Generously butter a cookie sheet.
• Use a 1-1/2 quart or larger microwave proof saucepan, measuring cup, or mixing bowl:
• Mix nuts, sugar, syrup, and salt. Cover with a paper towel.
• Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
• Remove from microwave, stir, recover with paper towel.
• Microwave on high 4 more minutes.
• Remove from oven. Add butter and vanilla, stir, recover.
• Microwave on high 1-1/2 minutes.
• Remove from oven.
• Add baking soda and stir. (It foams up a bunch!)
• Pour onto buttered cookie sheet, spreading as thinly as nuts will allow.
• Let set approximately one hour until cool.
• Break into pieces.
• Store in tightly covered container, if it stays around long enough! Makes 4 cups.
I mostly use pecans. I like to chop them just before making this as I think you get more of the pecan flavor in the candy.
If the air in your home is humid, this may not get really hard on cooling, but it's still edible and tastes wonderful in spite of not being brittle.
Post a Followup