[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Speaking of soups - here are two I had today - sm

Posted by Carol Reese on October 23, 2007 at 22:46:35:

A group of ladies from church are meeting every few weeks to share tips and recipes about food storage items. Today, we had a pot luck and brought things made with at least one food storage item. I took the Easy Chicken and Rice. I made it with canned chicken and threw in a can of carrots and a can of green beans. Everything I used came out of the cupboard.

Mexican Soup - Makes a LOT

8 cans (10.5 ounces) Campbell's Chicken and Rice soup
4 cans of water
2 cans (11 ounces) of Mexicorn (corn with peppers added)
2 jars (24 ounces) chunk salsa (mild)
2 cans chicken breast meat (or 3 cups of boiled and deboned chicken...or two 9 ounce packages of Louis Rich Grilled Chicken Breast Strips)
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilis
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Optional
When warm, addthe following in slowly , stirring constantly:
3 cups Mesican Shredded Cheese (Or Monterrey Jack works great)
8 ounches sour cream

Heat another few minutes until hot and well blended.

Remove from heat.

Garnish with chopped tomatoes and avocados as desired.

This was delicious without the cheese and sour cream, and it was delicious with it, too.

I'd serve it with tortilla strips.

If you use canned chicken and skip the cheese and sour cream, it's totally from the pantry shelves.

Hearty Black Bean Soup
1 cup tomato salsa
2 cans black beans (15.5 ounces), drained and rinsed.
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
Sour cream (optional)

Step 1: Heat salsa in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans and broth. Bring to a boil, then ower hte heat and simmer the shoup, covered, for 15 minutes.

Step 2: Let the soup cool slightly, then ladle half of it into a blender and puree it. Return the pureed soup to the pot. Ster in lime juice and cilantro and heat through. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired.

If you wanted meat, I would think that chicken would be a good addition after pureeing. This also was delicious. I got to bring some of both home, and DH really liked this one. (Of course, he hasn't tried the other one yet.)

I think I'll try freezing the first one ni smaller portions at some point WIth only the two of us, a big pot of anything needs to be divided up and frozen for later.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]