[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

There are several spelling mistakes in there, but I know you call can figure out what I meant! - nm

Posted by Carol Reese on October 15, 2007 at 11:04:38:

In Reply to: Shepherd's Pie posted by Carol Reese on October 15, 2007 at 11:02:18:

: 1 to 1.5 lbs hamburger
: 1 can beef or vegetable beef soup (sometimes beef is hard to find)
: 1 can cream of celery soup or mushroom
: 1 can green beans, drained
: 1 can whole kernal corn, drained
: 2 cups sliced carrots
: Instant potatoes to make 8 servings
: grated or sliced cheese

: Brown the hamburger. Cook the carrots. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix. If the mix seems to dry, add an extra can of beef or vegetable beef soup.

: Turn into a 9x13 (3-quart) casserole dish. Prepare the instant potatoes and put them on top of the hamburger mix, like frosting a cake. Sprinkle grated cheese on top, or lay sliced cheese on top, however much you want.

: Bake at 350 degrees (325 if using a glass dish) for about 30 minutes, until it reaches whatever the instant read thermometer says for ground beef. (I think that's 160 degrees.) Gravy will be bubbling up around the edges and cheese will be melted and if sliced will be toasted a bit.

: This freezes very very well. With just the two of us, I now divide this up into 3 or 4 3-cup casserole dishes and freeze it for later.

: It will take a little longer to heat up, and I always check it with the instant read thermometer if cooking it from a frozen state because the middle may still be cold when the edges are bubbling. As soon as we use the last one in the freezer, I make up another batch.

: This is very forgiving or amounts and actual ingredients. You can stretch a pound of hamburger by adding an extra can of veggies (or an extra 2 c-ups of fresh veggies), or you can feed a larger group by using up to 2 lbs of hamburger. You might need a 4-quart casserole for that, especially if you also add more veggies. You might also need an additional can of soup. For a 4-quart casserole, another 2 to 4 servings of instant potatoes would cover it better.

: DH is allergic to corn, so I leave that out. I'll add leftover veggies that to this. In fact, I keep a container in the freezer that I had 1 or 2 Tablespoons of leftover veggies so as not to waste them, and this is a perfect place to put them. Since I leave out the corn, I might make more carrots or use English peas or baby lima beans or even a can of drained and rinsed kidney or black beans, whatever I have around or feel like putting in.

: My sons both claim to dislike this particular dish, but I noticed that they would be the ones to clean up the leftover the next daya after school for a snack. Younger son when he was off to college actually called and asked me for the recipe becauase it is fairly inexpensive to make and goes a long way to filling up hungry young men.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]