[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Here is an Estellized version of South Beach's Jambalaya. :)

Posted by Estelle on September 15, 2007 at 13:57:29:

Hubby and older son actually went for seconds (after grumbling about having it for dinner w/ NO alternatives available, he he he >: D ), and Little Man said, "Dis is welly good!" I liked it very much and thought I'd share. :) If you are familiar with SB diet, this is a Phase 2 recipe (due to the rice). Hope y'all enjoy it!

CHICKEN JAMBALAYA~~

(The recipe is made with chicken, but they said you can use any combination of meats: beef, pork, chicken, sausage, ham, or seafood; I used sausage and chicken)

1-1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
2 bunches of green onion (scallions), white AND green parts, chopped (2 TBS reserved for garnish; I had about 1/4 cup reserved b/c we LOVE onion!)
1 green bell pepper (I chopped up an equivalent amount of colorful mini sweet peppers)
I added 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced ( I used about 3)
1/2 C whole-grain, quick-cooking brown rice (I didn't have quick-cooking, but recipe did just fine, cooked a little bit longer)
1/8 tsp cajun season (they said sugar free) or cayenne pepper (route I took)
2 C lower-sodium chicken broth (I added about 1/2 can more water b/c of the raw rice)
1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes w/ juice
salt and black pepper

Season chicken w/ salt and pepper. Heat 1 TBS of olive oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, scallions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring often, until veggies are softened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in rice and Cajun seasoning (or cayenne pepper). Add broth and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. If jambalaya has excess moisture, cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved scallions (I added another sprinkle of cayenne b/c I like a little more spice than my family) and serve.

Makes 4 (1-1/2 cup) servings
Nutrition per (original; remember I added some things) serving:
400 calories, 11 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 46 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 550 sodium.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]