[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Just getting back to the board here, (sm)

Posted by Shawn on November 15, 2011 at 22:24:58:

In Reply to: Thank you. I did a lot of shaking my head at this article. sm posted by Estelle on November 06, 2011 at 21:55:51:

One of the interesting times for me when I lived in Ireland was at Hallowe'en/Samhain, and it was around that time that the local churches did up the Harvest celebrations really beautifully. It was fun to help decorate the Brannockstown church (Firestone Stud Farm country) and see the gorgeous flowers and produce from local farms, etc...and it was a time for the women to get together and really put on a show for their baked and preserved goods, too. I was living with Protestants in Catholic Ireland at the time, and so our perspective was a little different in that sense. I don't really remember what the Catholics did.

All this took place at the same time when there was a really strong awareness of the other side of things, that being the "dark" spiritual emphasis w/bon fires and pagan goings-on...it was pretty weird, seeing the contrast. There was a strong sense of reality and respect for the pagan rites by the church people--it wasn't a time of silliness or game-playing at all, which I found to be fascinating. I lived down country and don't recall any talk of "trick-or-treating" or children out running around on their own at all. There was family attendance at the bonfires but it wasn't a fun/game-type attitude.

I enjoyed all of it immensely, lol.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]