[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Zen and the art of liberal progressive drool

Posted by SGTex on March 24, 2011 at 23:13:40:

"I was hoping for some Buddhist zen, and all I got was liberal progressive drool." --Someone anonymous and a little disenchanted with us...

Zen could be discussed here, but there are no regular participants who practice or really affiliate with it. I can only recommend the 2 books Thomas Hoover wrote about it, *Zen Culture* and *The Zen Experience*.

It is true that Zen differs sharply from my type of Buddhism in several ways. SGI is a great force for world peace, whereas Zen does not emphasize a social dynamic for changing the world. Soka Buddhism entails worship and prayer but Zen does not exactly feature these, and accordingly in my religious opinion, has not the glory and power of Soka (Nichiren) Buddhism.

Yes, many SGI Buddhists are somewhat liberal. "Progressive" is not too strong a word for a movement of strident humanism that lifts up ideals of nonviolence, culture and education. Arguably more than any other religious organization, we are one-worlders of intellectual bent. Unlike Zen, we are a Nongovernmental Organization in the United Nations.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]