[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

My 2 bits on knowing and doing the will of God: (sm)

Posted by Shawn on December 02, 2010 at 20:29:18:

In Reply to: Perhaps, but I don't see it quite that way. sm posted by Estelle on December 02, 2010 at 15:41:12:

Estelle says: I think of it as God being the teacher and we being the students. God's ways ARE higher than our way, His thoughts ARE higher than our thoughts.

Shawn says: If there is a God who has ways and thoughts, and they are higher than ours, then we as humans are only able to interpret those ways and thoughts according to our own limitations- IOW, we are limited and apt to MISinterpret, being subject to either our own comprehension and perception, or to the level of comprehension and perception of the person who is presenting it to us.

One might say that the Bible is infallible--but, it has been determined and documented that the Bible we know and love and to which we have access has been compromised and portions of it lost, MIStranslated, etc... The Word is supposed to be alive and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword...... Actually, TTYTT, I believe that "Word" to be the Universe/God/Goddess/Cosmos/Eternal Truth/Enlightenment.....I do believe that Biblical (and other) scriptures can and should be used to enhance one's experience of seeking Truth-- however, I do NOT believe one should rely on it wholly. Our minds are fallible. The mood and attitude and degree of knowledge we have is subject to change and growth or lack thereof. What is presented to us as true doctrine might apply at one time in our lives, but there's a huge chance that we will grow or move away or discard for whatever reason that doctrine and adopt something more useful to us.

Estelle says: However, which direction do we go AS we are learning His Word or feeling something from our spirit? Are we at least trying to go in the same direction as God is (even when we may not quite understand the whys about it)?

Shawn says: See above. And God isn't supposed to be moving in a direction, if I've read my Bible correctly.

Estelle says: Or are we taking what we learn and going where God clearly does not want us to go? What is our desire in life? Is it to do God's Will or run away from it?

Shawn says: You're putting too much of a personality on God, IMO. We have within us the will to do what will make a good cause and promote happiness for ourselves or others, or do what has the opposite effect. To claim "godliness" or to be following God's ways or will is too easily used as a crutch or an excuse. It's too subject to corruption and exclusivism. General Custer applied those principles at the wrong place and time to the wrong people and look where it got him. The first missionaries to the Hawaiian people did the same, and look what happened. Ego takes over all too often and someone claiming to follow and lead innocents along the path to God have wreaked too much havoc and destruction. Jim Jones, for instance. JMO.

Estelle says: The Bible says we can have the mind of Christ. We may not know everything that Jesus knows, but what we need to know can help us go far.

Shawn: Not necessarily. We can have good attitudes and "do unto others," and emulate Jesus Christ (or the Buddha, for that matter, or Mary Baker Eddy). We must be careful to not be too caught up in what might come off as pseudo-Christianity or self-righteousness. I'll be the first to tell you that I know I can come off as too uppity w/my idea-sharing zeal...I know, it's irritating as all hell, LOL! Sorry.

Estelle says: Plus, we can spiritually know things independent of our intellect.

Shawn says: I don't agree with that. I don't think we come partitioned that way...but it's just my thought.

Estelle says: Some things just are not explainable with logic and reasoning, but you know that you know what you know in your spirit.

Shawn says: I agree with that, to a degree. But it's not entirely true that logically and reasonably one is unable to explain--it's a semantic issue again. I wholeheartedly agree that one can know what one can know- that is totally true.

Thanks, Estelle!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]