[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

PS-- And that is only about half my answer, but I'm saving some

Posted by for later, based on what you'll say next, Frankie. S on November 26, 2010 at 11:38:50:

In Reply to: Semantics and motivation: (sm) posted by Shawn on November 26, 2010 at 11:36:56:

: And I hope I'm not jumping to conclusions or assuming what you might be asking here...

: My answer, at this point is "Sure."

: For instance, when in the presence of children (less jaded by life and with less life experience, more open-minded and warm-hearted and fresh, unspoiled) we "pretend" to believe in Father Christmas (who, by the way, is more apt to have walked the earth and done good deeds than Jesus, if we're to determine existence based on historical documentation- just mentioning that). We "pretend" to believe, in order to not spoil the child's innocence and give the child a chance to come to his/her own conclusions, allowing the child to what--"keep the faith," so to speak. No harm done.

: In that case, are you living a lie? No-- you're very likely not imposing your own beliefs and ideas upon someone else, in order for them, as an equally sentient being, to form their own. You're preserving your own integrity while protecting theirs, IMO. In doing so, you are being accepted in the child's world, fitting in without crossing that line whereby you'd cause the child to come to believe something before he/she was prepared, if ever, to believe it.

: I don't think it goes as deep as "living a lie" (respectfully questioning Rachael's idea in this case).

: Me? I believe. In Father Christmas. ;+)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]