[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]
When Robert Jones first opened the site in 1994 he couldn’t have imagined that it would ever attract so many members and so much interest as it has generated. Sadly Robert passed away unexpectedly in 1918. he made us promise we would continue the running of the site in his name and uphold its good name this we promised to do. Colin and I don't have the expert knowledge in running the site but we will prod along as best we can to uphold its name. Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL: Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

Charities

Posted by on Fri, Jun 10 2022 at 04:55 AM CDT:

It is apparent from recent comments about various charities associated with our members that there is a lack of understanding as to how the various charities work and what they can legally do (or not do) to assist their beneficiaries.

Basically, as Royal Sussex Regiment veterans, apart from SSAFA and RBL there are two charities where we are entitled to seek help from and these are The Royal Sussex Regimental Association Limited and the PWRR (Queens & Royal Hampshire’s) Benevolent Fund. Both charities are individually registered with the Charities Commission.

Some of us also served in the Queens Regiment too and it is logical to think the Queens Regimental Association is another charity where we can go to for help. Yes, they are very good at providing help but they are not a registered charity. Any donations they receive will go to The Queen's Regiment Benevolent Fund which is ring-fenced & administered by the Trustees of the PWRR Benevolent Fund.

The other organisation mentioned, the Quick Response Memorial Woodland (QRMW) is also a registered charity and their charitable purpose is to prevent/relieve poverty or financial hardship among former personnel of the Armed Forces, their dependents and carers in such way as the trustees think fit.

Although the charity does have a strong affinity with the Queens Regiment, I do know from experience that it has helped veterans from other regiments.

Every charity registered with the Charities Commission must have a charitable purpose and this dictates how benevolence can be distributed and to whom. Funds cannot be used from one charity to support another charity but there is nothing to stop a charity referring a client to another charity for assistance. This happens all the time in the military charitable sector.

Turning to the issue of one charity recognising another. Charities are separate entities and will work together to provide support to beneficiaries. Recognition of one charity by another is not an issue that I have ever come across. As for the Queens Regimental Association (not a registered charity anyway) not recognising QRMW is news to me. I believe there was a falling out between QRA and QRMW some years back as QRMW wanted to call themselves the Queens Regiment Memorial Woodland and the QRA objected. The Royal Sussex Regimental Association Limited will work together with any reputable charity to provide help for one of our comrades and this includes QRMW.

Finally, we do accept that we are having problems getting out news etc. on the official website. We do urgently need a Secretary as Barry Lane is juggling many roles at the moment and is doing his very best to get the news out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]
Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL: