[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]
When Robert Jones first opened the site in 1994 he couldn’t have imagined that it would ever attract so many members and so much interest as it has generated. Sadly Robert passed away unexpectedly in 1918. he made us promise we would continue the running of the site in his name and uphold its good name this we promised to do. Colin and I don't have the expert knowledge in running the site but we will prod along as best we can to uphold its name. Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL: Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

Re: Weekend in Belfast ?

Posted by Brian Marjoram on Thu, May 12 2022 at 05:20 AM CDT:

In Reply to: Weekend in Belfast ? posted by Dave Tilley on Thu, May 12 2022 at 01:54 AM CDT:

Dave, I decided to phone the manager of Zara (the shop where our plaque was fixed). She confirmed that it was no longer there and when I asked when it was removed, she said she did not want to discuss and told me to contact the landlords and would not give any more information. She was decidedly cool about the whole thing. She was not able (or willing) to give me details of the landlords. A little research on Google shows that the possible landlords are a company based in Stranmillis and the one of the Directors have used the Gaellic spelling of their first name. I left it at that. I suspect that either someone in the shop or the landlords took offence to the mention of King Billy on the plaque and removed it. Unless it was handed to a museum or other authority, we are unlikely to see it again. As for putting another one up, I think it's a lost cause as you will probably not get permission of the landlords. It's unfortunate but sadly, as recent events have shown, memorials and statues do not always pass the test of time and history is rewritten.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]
Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL: