[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]
When Robert Jones first opened the site in 1994 he couldnít have imagined that it would ever attract so many members and so much interest as it has generated. Sadly Robert passed away unexpectedly in 1918. he made us promise we would continue the running of the site in his name and uphold its good name this we promised to do. Colin and I don't have the expert knowledge in running the site but we will prod along as best we can to uphold its name. Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL: Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

Re: Royal Sussex Memorial

Posted by on Wed, Mar 16 2022 at 02:59 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Royal Sussex Memorial posted by Tony T on Tue, Mar 15 2022 at 06:29 AM CDT:

I donít think the garden at Herstmonceux can be classed an Official Royal Sussex site, we donít own the site or have unrestricted access to it, we have to liaise with the university before we can arrange any functions at the garden as they have quite a few periods when the site is closed, Canada Day, and Graduation days and any time they have a large function when it can be closed for a week at a time. They also very clear on the size and placing of the plaques at the garden in that they must all be of the same size and make.
I am not sure how big people think the site is, at the most its only about 8 square meters.
The garden was paid for and constructed by all member of the Eastbourne Branch this including a number who were never in the Regiment, the branch member also carries out any repairs needed and are also paid for by the branch.
There are however two Official Royal Sussex Regiment sites in Eastbourne the Nelson Carter VC and the PINWE memorials both of which are in the pavilion gardens on the seafront (opposite the Langham Hotel) which are open to all.
Just to clarify a couple of points there is not a plaque to Rod Arnold and Mike Constantine did a officiate at the dedication of the garden but the tree was donated by a relative.

Phil

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]
Post A Message Name: E-Mail: Subject: Message: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL: