[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Veterans, are we looking after them properly?

Posted by Garyd on Wed, Jan 23 2019 at 11:02 AM CST:

In Reply to: Veterans, are we looking after them properly? posted by Tony T on Wed, Jan 23 2019 at 08:26 AM CST:

: I was in New York recently and I was invited to a veterans reunion. I had the opportunity to speak with many veterans who had been in the Gulf wars and in Vietnam. What impressed me more than anything is how well the American general public welcome veterans wherever or whatever their situation. They are offered free meals in restaurants, and passers-by will stop and shake their hands. Complimentary tickets to football, basketball and other sporting events, tickets to see Broadway shows. It is a little sad that our veterans are not treated with the same respect, thatís not quite true, we do remember them but that is normally on remembrance day, and thereafter until next year.

: We have military charities who do an excellent job when asked. But I believe they could do more. We are reading and hearing of veterans living on the streets which should never happen, numbers of them are mooted but I am sure we have no true figure just how many there are sleeping rough. In most towns and villages across the country, we have RBL, regimental association clubs who meet once a month they ought to be putting out feelers to see if there are veterans living rough in their area and if there are then do something about it.

: Our two main charities are sitting on £ millions. We had Helped for Heroís we now need, Homes for Heroes. I see no reason why that these two charities pool their resources and throughout the country with the support of the government, and local authorities build suitable accommodation for veterans and not forgetting the homeless people and we are rid of this curse.

: We are the fifth richest nation in the world and we are not looking after or treating our veterans as we should. Our military charities are inward looking and too protective of themselves. Can we do what I have said? Of course, we can it only needs the resolve of the powers to be to set it in motion, thatís all.

Tony
What a fantastic article and how true this is. As a veteran they have their own V.A hospital services.
But what struck me most is w events that I have witnessed both in Florida
Driving down highway 192 one day all the billboard were advertising Veterans Day. And the wording was itís hug a veteran day.
But the most emotional experience Iíve ever had was in Seaworld. Before every show they are so proud of veterans that they ask veterans not just their own but any of their frendly nation veterans to stand up and wave while thousands clap their appreciation.
My family watched while I stood with all other vets clapped and said thank you.
VERY VERY humbling and shows how the nation respect those that have served.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]