[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: rugby

Posted by MM on Sun, Nov 18 2018 at 06:07 AM CST:

In Reply to: Re: rugby posted by martyn burgess on Sun, Nov 18 2018 at 04:32 AM CST:

When I was a youngster my grandmother told me that her brother, my great uncle had been a professional rugby player. He'd met the King (George V) and had a medal. That he'd been to Australia to play. A couple of years ago I decided to check him out and my grandmothers description was not quite up to it. He was William Williams (Billy) He started with Crumlin and Cross Keys then he appeared for Wales 1n the 1926-27 season. In 1928 he moved to Salford and was Captain of the 'Red Devils' for 4 years. During that time he played for the British Lions twice against Australia in 1930. There was a lot more about him too.
The one thing I found out was that he was also the subject of a cigarette card as Captain of Salford. I managed to get one which is now displayed proudly a long with his photo on the sitting room wall. He also appears in some British Pathe News shots too. I met him on 2 occasions, once when I was 6, he frightened me to death, he appeared so big to me then. I met him again in 1967. He was a nice man. Our family are proud of his achievements and still talk about him to day.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]