[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Arrival.

Posted by MM on Sat, Jul 21 2018 at 03:17 AM CDT:

52 Years ago today I joined the battalion in Lemgo. Our party had left Canterbury East at something like 12.30pm The flight was late afternoon from 'Gatport Airwick' on board a BEA flight. We were smartly dressed in our No2 uniforms and carrying everything we possessed. It was a day like today too, hot and sticky.
We finally arrived at Stornaway Barracks late at just after 10.00pm (Staff Parade had been carried out)
We were introduced to Jack Hares. What a welcoming person he was. I mean it wasn't our fault that the time was inconsiderate given that he'd had a hard day, nor was it our fault that the battalion (BHQ) had no idea that we were arriving that day. Someone had failed to pass the information on (well that's what we were told the following morning)
We clambered out of the bus at the main gate and Jack Hares marched us to D Coy office, across the square and it was dark.
I had my kit bag and my army issue suitcase along with a small suitcase too. We had all had a long hard hot day as Jack had and we were, well I was, very tired by now (bless us).It was inevitable that someone was going to drop something along the way. I think it was my kit bag first, then my issue case then something else. In that short distance from the guard room to mid square Jack got to know me and I him. What a motley crew.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]