[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: llanhilleth

Posted by on Sun, Jun 24 2018 at 09:09 AM CDT:

In Reply to: llanhilleth posted by martyn burgess on Sat, Jun 23 2018 at 10:30 AM CDT:

: hi gary d llanhilleth miners institute has been there since 1906.Its a big brick structure.I know another one of mums uncles in six bells got caught out in a mine collapse.He reckoned some of the mines were interconnected and he came out in another mine.Another thing he said was they preffered the old wooden pit props as opposed to the concrete ones.This was because you could hear the wooden ones cracking,where as the concrete ones gave no warnings.

Martyn
Iíve google earthed the miners institute and I remember it well. The ground floor/ basement was when I knew it a snooker hall. The round window in the upper front used to be a clock. In the centre of the clock was a .22 bulletin hole. Fired from a rifle by my father . Ginger.
Interesting looking at google earth. The drill hall was down to the right itís gone. Had my first bike ride in that area. Fell off. The bridge has changed. On the other side of the bridge was the Salvation Army chapel. I have my certificate from there saying I was baptised under the flag of the Sally Army.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]