[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Warning Order Silent Toats

Posted by Willie Harper TD Maj [Retd] on Wed, Apr 25 2018 at 05:13 PM CDT:

WARNING ORDER:

Regimental Muster at location below.

ROLE: Social Role.

No move before 1300hrs 160518.

MISSION:

207th ANNIVERSARY of the BATTLE of ALBUHERA Wednesday 16th May 2018 & “Silent Toast”within bounds.

VENUE: CROWBOROUGH SOCIAL CLUB [Address below]

TIMINGS:

7.00pm for Muster 7.45pm [1900hrs for 1945hrs] Silent Toast 8.00pm [2000hrs]

DRESS:

Queensmen & PWRR - Blazers and Regimental Tie. Similar for all other Veterans. Smart Casual please for all other guests.

SITUATION/BACKGROUND:

Back in May 2011, it was the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Albuhera and for those of us not able to be in Albuhera for the Bicentenary Celebrations, I arranged for my late Cousin-in-Law, Brigadier Richard Holmes, Late Colonel of the Regiment and renowned Military Historian [War Walks Series on television etc.] to provide a lecturette account of the Battle, as only he could, to be followed by all Queensmen present participating in the “Silent Toast” to the Immortal Memory of our Fallen Comrades. Sadly, Brigadier Richard died before the Anniversary. Prudently, he had insisted that I gimped up the Battle myself, in order to stand in for him if necessary; as family, I knew that he was gravely ill.

In the end, I delivered my apology of an account that must have been a poor second best to that that should have been delivered. Nevertheless, in spite of attendees awareness of Brigadier Richard’s death, it proved to be a well-attended and well-received evening at the Southborough Men’s Club. So much so, that I was approached by survivors of that evening asking if I would do it again on the 16th May 2017. Research provided a most suitable venue; my own Club, the Crowborough Social Club in Croft Road Crowborough, East Sussex TN6 1DL. This too proved to be an especial evening, with a strong desire to carry on with the event in 2018. On that occasion, I delivered nearer to what Brigadier Richard would have covered; an in depth look at the battle from all perspectives.

The Club is very happy to hold such the event again and will provide a full finger buffet as before. On this occasion, I propose to repeat the formula again on the 16th May, particularly, as there will be many people attending unfamiliar with the Battle of Albuhera, fought in the Spring of 1811, its place in the Peninsular Campaign and to provide understanding as to why it is so significant to all Queensmen, PWRR and Veterans of our forebear Regiments and why the “Die Hard” / “Silent Toast” continues to be carried out to this day.

ACTION:

So, are you interested in attending? I am proposing to replicate the successful 200th Anniversary format. That is to say, the event is open to Queensmen/PWRR, wives etc.; friends; Crowborough RBL Members and wives etc. As before, however, only Queensmen/PWRR will participate in the “Silent Toast” to be witnessed by the remainder. This has worked very well since 2011. RHQ PWRR will be informed of Queensmen/PWRR who participated on the Toast as normal.

LOGISTICS:

I propose that the Buffet follows [£5.00 per head] with the Club Bar offering the full gamut of drinks, including beautifully kept Harvey’s Best and Old Speckled Hen draught beers. For those who are unfamiliar with the Crowborough Social Club, it is very well appointed, comfortable and ideal for us.

COMMAND & SIGNALS:

Willie Harper to coordinate and liaise with the Club. All queries and dietary needs address to him via this means [lht600@btinternet.com] or, the phone numbers below.

Queensmen/PWRR on Facebook etc.[ because I don’t know how to do it!], please promulgate this via these means and email to inform brethren of this gathering.

Please let me know BY RETURN whether you are coming or not. I have to booked the Club and the Caterer. I do hope that you will come. I will delighted to greet you.

Kind regards,

Willie Harper TD
Maj [Retd]

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: